Sunday, February 10, 2013

Cautious Awe

I love it when my students make up their own games or invent new things. Often though, it is something that most teachers would label "inappropriate." For instance, the time they used round blocks under long blocks to make their own skateboards. I was in awe of their ingenuity, but it wasn't particularly "safe," and we all know most people are a bit wrapped up in safety. 

So, the other day when these truck and towers were transformed into a rip-roaring bowling match, I couldn't help but be impressed. I was cautious though. I have mixed feelings about whether or not my classroom should be calm and peaceful or wild and crazy, and I could see this escalating and getting out of hand for an indoor activity.

But, until it does, they sure are having fun, and I'm not going to be the one to say "no" to that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment