Friday, November 9, 2012

Colors and Droppers

Using droppers to tie-dye coffee filters is a standard project in my room. This year we still hadn't done in. In fact, I'm ashamed to say we haven't done much truly messy art this year. So, with a little extra help in my room the other day, I decided to go all out. We painted cd's and picture frames. Then we got out the old favorite. 

We mixed water and food coloring in cups.


For some of us, it was our first time really using eye droppers. 


We worked on top of towels, which are looking a bit tie dyed now, too. In the past it has worked better to put each one on a paper plate instead of directly on the towel. 


Eye droppers are notorious for their ability to attune children's fine motor skills. 


The yellow food coloring was all out, so we mixed regular tempera paint with water. It worked just as well, if not better. 




It's days like this that remind me we need more exploratory art in our schools. 




No comments:

Post a Comment