Saturday, November 24, 2012

Writing Center


One portion of my writing center is made from the railing of an old crib. I used the rest of the crib to create a science center. Of course, the huge dry erase board is a big plus, too. It provides a magnetic word wall for class names and a place for vertical writing. There is also a writing easel. But the crib rail holds the majority of the supplies I keep in my writing center.


Crib rail and low shelf. 

There are two 2-section holders in the middle of the crib rail. This one has both pencils and colored pencils.

Chalk and dry erase markers for using the boards in our writing center.

Dry erase boards are always accessible for writing. 

The chalk boards don't seem to be as popular. I'll have to think of a way to market them as the next biggest hit. 

We add different letter charts to our book when we brainstorm. Students can flip back to any letter they want. 


Under the crib rail is a low shelf. The students keep their letter journals in them. Each page represents a different letter, and they draw and write pictures and words. Last week, we started adding sentences.

 A writing center is a place that can take a good bit of teacher effort in kindergarten. That's only because it TYPICALLY isn't a child's first natural pick, though it can be be for some children.  I find that when I neglect the writing center, the children do, too. It helps to talk about it a lot, and it helps to add new things. I recently added teaching supplies to my writing center, which drew in a HUGE amount of student interest, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see that they're gradually sticking around that center to do some writing, as well as playing "teacher."

In Rebekah's Room
Rebekah's writing center is a small corner against a wall. It is extremely space efficient. She used circle pockets on the back, which are a no-sew DIY project made from securing two pieces of fabric into sewing circles

No comments:

Post a Comment